Friday, December 12, 2008

A Christmas Clothesline

I'm sure you're well acquainted with my very long hallway by now... as well as the clothesline I put up to deal with all the blank wallness.

The thing I love most about the clothesline is that it's constantly evolving. It seems like every few days I am putting up, taking down, or re-arranging the pictures on it. The most recent installment was my "Love Notes" series but 10 photos seemed a little too barren for this season of celebration and abundance.

So I decided to create a Christmas clothesline. But how would I do this? I don't have the time to go out and take a bunch of Christmas pictures, nor do I have the time or money to make/buy a bunch of ornaments to hang on it.

I started brainstorming about what Christmas means and came up with two important words: family and nostalgia. Thus, the Christmas clothesline was born.






What you need to make your own Christmas clothesline:
  1. lots of wall space
  2. a piece of string and two nails
  3. clothespins
  4. scanned family Christmas photos from the 70s and early 80s (including before you were born) >:)
  5. snowflakes, ornaments, ribbon or anything else you have laying around

I scanned my pictures and had them re-developed at Shopper's Drug Mart. They do a better job at processing than Wal-Mart or Costco because they're not as busy and therefore their chemicals aren't as tired (read: better colour quality).

I didn't want to use the original pictures because a) Mom has them so I couldn't, b) a lot of them are stuck to the photo albums pages anyway, c) these pictures are precious and I would be so upset if anything ever happened to them and d) I'm alright with photoshop so once they were scanned, cropped and touched up, they look better anyway!

I'm pleased as punch at how the Christmas clothesline turned out. It makes me smile having all my Christmas memories displayed so others can enjoy them too. :)

No comments: