Wednesday, February 25, 2009

pancake tuesday!

Tonight I had the pleasure of going to a pancake dinner at Mom and Dad's church. At first I was a little reluctant because I thought I would feel awkward, not really knowing anyone. But I grabbed my camera and went anyway, thinking it might be a fun place to snap a few pictures.

I loved pancake day when I was a kid. Mom used to wrap little items in tin foil and put them in the pancakes. It was always a thrill to see what you bit into and laugh at the predictions. Whoever got the nail was to be a carpenter, the ring was for the next to be wedded, the thimble meant you were to be an old maid. But even better was the money - excitedly unwrapping the tinfoil to find... darn it all, a nickel. God Bless the Canadian government for making loonies and toonies because it made pancake day so much more exciting!

As for this evening, I am glad I went. The food was yummy and the company grand. It makes my heart happy to know that Mom & Dad are part of such a tight-knit, caring community.

Getting things started...
Father Joseph hard at work in the kitchen.
Dad and Glen discussing the awesome pancake dinner!

1 comment:

Hans said...

Christine,
I am really glad you wrote about this experience. I find as well those things we are reluctant to do because of a perhaps a fear of stepping outside our own social safety net are the in fact the most rewarding. It causes us to me more cognizant i think of the experience because of these inhibitions, which engages people more when they experience welcoming wishes when they were not expecting them.