Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pretzels and Leeks Together Again

This week I want to make a better effort at eating healthily. Or should I say, a better effort at preparing my own healthy meals. I try to make healthy choices at work and I often find myself picking up vegetarian sushi in lieu of fast food or subway. But working nights makes dinner preparation difficult.

Having said that, my schedule this week is nothing short of amazing. I only have two night shifts! That's five whole nights of cooking yummy food. Yay!

Tonight I made pretzels. This turned out to be a more time intensive process than I had anticipated. It wasn't hard, there were just a lot of steps. I found the recipe in the October 2007 issue of Canadian Living. You can find it online here. The only change I made was I used 2 cups white and 2 cups whole wheat flour. Also, I only had to bake them for 20 minutes til they were a pleasing golden brown.

Behold the greatness of homemade pretzels!

I needed to pair these puppies up with something so I decided soup would be nice. I flipped through my recipe book and came across my Mom's recipe for Leek & Potato Soup. The recipe is easy peasey and who doesn't like leeks?! Ahhhh... leeks.

The best thing about this soup aside from its awesome taste, is its pleasing green colour. You can practically see the nutrients leaping into your belly.

Lil's Leek & Potato Soup
6 leeks thinly sliced
4 large potatoes peeled and diced
8 cups of chicken broth
2 cloves of garlic, minced.

Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool. Puree in blender. Reheat soup on medium and add 1 cup of milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Voila!

The hungry masses were pleased.


No comments: