Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Portrait Practice

I haven't written about my photography course in awhile so I figure tonight is a good time to catch you up.

During the past few weeks we've covered many of the technicalities of taking a good picture: aperture, shutter speed, exposure and depth of field. Now we're on to the more important topic of content. Having said that, content is nothing if you don't understand the technical... so I guess it's a chicken and egg thing.

Anyway, this week we learned about portraiture. My favourite topic! My dream job would involve taking lots of pictures of people and telling their stories. My favourite style of portraiture is documentary and environmental (As in, people in their environment. The person and their location being equal halves to a complete story). Thanks to my awesome teacher, I now have a new photography hero to drool over: Arnold Newman. He is famous for saying, "...we don't take pictures with our cameras, but with our hearts and minds." Goosebumps!

I am blessed to have a little girl in my life who loves to get her picture taken. This would be my niece, Rhianna. She's beautiful, spunky and has lots of patience while I'm fiddling with my camera settings. That's right folks, I'm still in manual. (And kinda sorta getting the hang of it too!). Below are a few of the best shots from our time together.

If you or someone you know is interested in a photo shoot (and doesn't mind waiting around while I figure out settings between shots) let me know, I would love to get some practice in!




No comments: