Tuesday, February 9, 2010

a morning's contemplation

I don't know why I've had a hard time pinning myself down long enough to blog lately. My mind has been scattered and my heart has been pulled in many directions. Consequently, my focus has been a tad blurry, if not completely lacking these past few weeks (er... months).

The drama of life continues to unfold on a daily basis. The thoughts of, "have I chosen the correct path?" and "how am I going to make this work?" continue to poke holes in my normally determined and hopeful bubble of thoughts. I've been getting discouraged with my job-that-pays-the-bills and have been employing lame excuses for Not Getting Anything Done. (I have a
headache. My room is too messy and is stifling my creative flow. And so on).

But this morning as I looked at the light falling on my delicious cream cheese brownie (made in celebration of a dear friend's birthday) sitting on its immaculate white plate, I felt something creep in and nestle in my heart. Was it the promise of spring? Was it a renewal of faith that everything will be OK and all is well? Was it the whispering of, "don't forget about the small things that really matter?" I don't know what it was, but it felt warm and good and my stomach felt fizzy with excitement.


It's so easy to get bogged down with the must-dos, should-have-dones and the don't-really-matter-details that I sometimes forget to broaden my mind to the bigger picture and those things that truly bring me joy. And sometimes all you need as a reminder is delicate light cast on a homemade brownie.


(These are easy and delicious. Click HERE for the recipe from Betty Crocker).

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

That looks incredible.

Anonymous said...

much agreed. :)
i love how you can put thoughts into words. i wish i was writer like you.
-Stace