Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Christmas! Well, it's kind of beginning to look a little bit like Christmas. I figure if I do something Christmas-y every day, then things will magically fall into place in a nice bit-by-bit progression. Ahhhh... the power of positive thinking!

So to go along with this organized way of thinking, I've made myself the goal of posting something Christmas related every day this month - whether it's an ornament I've made or a gift idea or simple inspiration.

I think this is going to be a lot of fun, so let's get started!

***
I decided to start the decorating with my much discussed front door. I wanted something big and eye-catching (read: sparkly) that was noticeable as you walked down my very long hallway. I mean, it takes 3 minutes to walk from one end to the other so you might as well have something nice to look at a long the way. The proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (or pretty decoration on the front door).

So yesterday I was walking around Wal-Mart (because as much as I don't care to support large multi-national corporations, they fit my budget right now). I came across some really 'economically priced' shatter-proof ornaments. My mind immediately leapt to something I've seen somewhere recently. That's so helpful, I know.

I guess the best way to describe it is a long strand of glass ornaments clustered together to form a vertical garland for hanging on doors. The ornaments were strung together with what looked like fishing line. There were no bows or anything fancy about it. And it cost 100 dollars!! Um, no thanks. But I did tuck the idea away.

And said idea sprung forth when faced with row upon row of cheap, shiney Christmas globes. I decided on 24 red balls and 30 gold balls. Yes, that would be 54 ornaments for the grand total of $15.94 plus tax. Then I marched straight to the craft department and picked up red ribbon ($1.97) and a spool of monofilament (also $1.97). Hindsight being what it is, I would have chosen a stronger fiber, but monofilament works.

Anyway, enough chitter-chatter. Get a load of this! I'm very pleased with the results and it was SO easy, anyone could do it! :)







No comments: